Skip to content

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

IRCC is now accepting applications under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot.

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot is for skilled workers and international student graduates who want to permanently live in:

  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • Prince Edward Island

IRCC will process up to 2,000 applications in 2017.


The Atlantic Immigration Pilot has two programs for skilled workers:

  • Atlantic High-Skilled Program
  • Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program

and one program for international student graduates:

  • Atlantic International Graduate Program

The work experience, education, and job offer you need will depend on whether you are applying as a worker or an international student graduate. The other requirements are the same for both.

Work experience


You must have worked at least one year (1,560 hours total or 30 hours per week) within the last three years. It can be full-time, non-continuous, or part-time, as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

The work must be:

  • in one occupation (but can be with different employers)
  • paid (volunteering or unpaid internships do not count)

Workers apply as either high-skilled workers or intermediate-skilled workers.

  • High-skilled workers must have work experience at NOC skill type/level 0, A, or B.
  • Intermediate-skilled workers must have work experience at NOC skill level C.

If you are eligible to apply for both, apply as a high-skilled worker.

The experience can be gained from inside or outside Canada.

International graduates

You do not need any work experience.



You must have:

  • a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, OR
  • a foreign degree, diploma, certificate, or trade or apprenticeship education credential. You need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to make sure it is valid and equal to a Canadian credential.

The report must show your education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree. Your ECA must be less than five years old when you apply.

International graduates

You must have:

  • a minimum 2 year degree, diploma, certificate, or trade or apprenticeship credential from a recognized publicly-funded institution in an Atlantic province
  • been a full-time student in Canada for at least two years
  • graduated in the last 12 months when you apply
  • lived in one of the Atlantic provinces for at least 16 months in the last 2 years before you graduated
  • had the visa or permit needed to work, study or train in Canada

Your study or training program cannot be:

  • English or French second language courses for more than half of the program, or
  • distance learning undertaken for more than half the length of the program.

You can’t apply if you had a scholarship or fellowship requiring you to return to your home country after you graduate.

Job offer

You must have a job offer that is:

  • from a designated employer in an Atlantic province (New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, or Prince Edward Island)
  • full-time
  • non-seasonal
  • reviewed by the province (details on the endorsement process will be available in early March 2017)

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) and duration of the job offer depends on your application.

Job offers for high-skilled workers must:

  • be skill type/level 0, A, or B
  • last at least one year

Job offers for intermediate-skilled workers must:

  • be skill type/level 0, A, B, or C
  • be indeterminate (permanent)

Job offers for international graduates must:

  • be skill type/level 0, A, B, or C
  • last at least one year

Your job offer does not need to be in the same occupation as your past work experience. However, you need to meet employment requirements for the job you are offered. The requirements are listed in the NOC.

The employer does not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment.


You must:

  • have at least a level four (4) in the Canadian Language Benchmarks in English or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens in French, and
  • take an approved language test that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.

Your results must be less than two years old when you apply.

Proof of funds

You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you immigrate. The amount you need depends on the size of your family and includes family members you support that are not immigrating with you.

You do not need to show proof if you are already living and working in Canada with a valid work permit.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *