Family Sponsorship – Parents and Grandparents
You may be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you meet the following requirements:
- at least 18 years of age,
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- meet the minimum necessary income which is equal to low income cut-off (LICO) plus 30% for last three years,
- sign an undertaking in which you promise that you will take care of your parents or grandparents and fulfill their basic requirements.
You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:
- failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
- defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
- received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
- were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence
- defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
- are in prison or
- have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.