To be eligible for self-employed category, you must:
- have relevant experience;
- meet selection criteria;
- be admissible to Canada.
Experience is relevant if you have:
- performed cultural activities or athletics at a world class-level, or
- worked as self-employed in cultural activities or athletics, or
- gained experience in managing a farm.
You will be assessed on following criteria:
In order to qualify, you must first meet the definition of an investor, entrepreneur or self-employed person, according to the class you apply under.
You will then be assessed against five selection criteria and a point system. You must obtain a minimum of 35 points if you want to immigrate to Canada as a business immigrant.
- 5111 Librarians
- 5112 Conservators and curators
- 5113 Archivists
- 5121 Authors and writers
- 5122 Editors
- 5123 Journalists
- 5125 Translators, terminologists and interpreters
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5132 Conductors, composers and arrangers
- 5133 Musicians and singers
- 5134 Dancers
- 5135 Actors and comedians
- 5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
- 5211 Library and public archive technicians
- 5212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
- 5221 Photographers
- 5222 Film and video camera operators
- 5223 Graphic arts technicians
- 5224 Broadcast technicians
- 5225 Audio and video recording technicians
- 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting –
- 5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the –
- 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters
- 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 5242 Interior designers and interior decorators
- 5243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
- 5244 Artisans and craftspersons
- 5245 Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products
- 5251 Athletes
- 5252 Coaches
- 5253 Sports officials and referees
- 5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
You must have enough funds to support yourself and your family in Canada.
You and your family is required to provide police clearance certificates from all those countries where lived for more than 6 months since the age of 18. You and your family should also be admissible on medical grounds.